Tuesday 20 January 2015

Shoot day - Our roles

During the shoot, my group and I assumed different roles and rotated roles after every section of shots. After a while we were able to arrange and complete the shots in a fairly efficient and quick way. For the first few panning mid shots of Simy's (our actress) lower body running through the wood I operated the camera before assuming the sound man role for the next few stationary long shots of Simy running toward the camera. The camera was hard to control at first as I wasn't used to using the camera as it had been a while since the Sony NX-5 tutorial. I found the initial tracking shot of the Simy's legs running through the woods difficult as it was the first few takes of the day but it got a lot easier after that. 
Muff attachment of the microphone
Bare microphone without attachments 


I operated the rifle microphone for the next few shots. This was a significantly easier shot as I had to simply point the mic at Simy as she was running, the only hard part of that role was that I couldn't move around or fidget as the mic was very powerful and picked up a lot of sound. There also comes the problem of disturbance with that particular microphone such as stepping on the mic cable which would make a noticeable sound compromise, and also there was a problem with wind disturbance if I didn't "comb the muff" of the mic, the muff is the fluffy attachment on the end of the microphone that looks like a bushy squirrel's tail. If the muff wasn't combed down the wind moved the bristles and makes a sound similar to if you blew into the microphone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment